Sometime ago, while watching the BBC documentary ‘The Universe’, I came across a scene that left a strong impression on me. It is a recreation of the earth during the formation stage 4.5 billion years ago.
After seeing this scene, I felt a strong urge to do something similar on my own and here is the result.
Unity asked me to do a scene to show GPU instancing running on Metal API. I built this scene from scratch, all the models, textures and shaders. The Unity guys did the instancing part of the asteroids.
I remember when I created this effect in UDK for ‘The Waterfall’. I also remember the problems I had back then. But thanks to Unity and its flexibility, I have had the chance to remake it correctly. I can now defocus the effect properly, it also deals with other transparent FX and DoF. I was pretty happy with the result and found it interesting, so I have released it at the asset store.
Cloth shading is a topic I have revisited over time. In January 2015 I have decided to release it to the Unity community as a Shader Forge graph at the asset store. I would be happy to see it used in your games. As you may see in the screens and video, you will be able to emulate key lighting behaviours of a wide range of fabric surfaces, from rough fabric such as towel or carpet, to silk or velvet.
In 2014 I made two demos for Unity Technologies, both shown at Unite 2014. First one was a car rendering project, for which I have developed a layered shader to model car paint features. It consists of a metallic base, lacquer layer and one more layer on top for dirtiness.
I made this environment and material switcher app to test the shader under many different lighting situations.
Then I was asked to polish my skin rendering system for ADN. This project was also supported by Unity. I spent one month working on it at home. Once it was ready to rock, I went to Paris to meet ADN guys and get the demo done. It was an unforgettable and pleasant experience.
After some years using Lee’s scan, I had the feeling that it was time to switch to another model. It wasn’t easy to find a good one so I decided to start zBrush and see what happened. I’d never tried to model a face before so it was a long process. And finally, Dave was born.